Tuesday 11 March 2008

Cabbage soup


Breakfast: granola & rice milk (too sweet, let's try oat milk tomorrow)
Lunch: Leftover bean & quinoa salad from yesterday, cherry tomatoes
Snack: 6 brazil nuts & 4 dried apricots
Dinner: Minestrone soup, 2 oatcakes & olive oil spread & 1 clementine

I had one of those 'aha!' moments today. It was shortly after a stray piece of cabbage escaped from my soup spoon and smacked me across the chin. Why does cabbage always do that when it's in soup? And how does cabbage do something wonderful to a plain standard old minestrone type soup? Inexplicable.

Anyway, back to the 'aha!' moment. I was enjoying a little reverie about cabbage in other soups, like the Savoy Cabbage & Coriander Soup in Sarah Craven's Garden Cookbook (sorry, I can't do one of those snaazzy links yet - where does everyone learn that stuff?!)...and then I got to thinking how beautiful cabbages are, then my mind wondered into the twilight zone of the brussel sprout. I'm sorry, I just can't forget the traumas of my youth. I'm scared to admit that I actually did used to eat the things, unlike my sister. But it wasn't until I was married with children of my own when I realised, hey! I don't have to serve these with Christmas dinner any more, I'm a grown up!

So, I was musing about how the thing with the blighters is, that they're too big. How can they possibly all cook to a delicious green springiness, when they are so dense. I smiled at the thought of separating out all the leaves and de-ribbing them. Then the aha! That's why all those trendy chefs slice them before cooking.

I have seen the future. And it's green.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Blasphemy! Brussels sprouts are the best things on earth! Nobody knows how to cook them. You're right about the Savoy cabbages, though.

Basil said...

Ahh, but Michele I have seen the light...watch as I approach brussel sprouts with a new eagerness!I know you are a sprout afficianado, so I shall be checking out your blog for some ideas!